Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Erik's race recap

Well OBXers. . .it was quite a day wasn't it? Our initial concerns over race day thundershowers faded as we struggled towards the start line thanks to Mary's chauffeuring support. After dropping our dry bags on the UPS truck, Susan Craig, and I braved the 40 minute port-a-jon line while Bill made other arrangements.

After a quick ra-ra from fellow OBXers I headed up to the 8:00 minute mile section of the pack. The race was quickly underway and I found myself dodging eager runners as we all jockeyed for position on the road. The cheering from the crowds was welcome as we wound our way through the first of several neighborhoods & past beautiful views of the west side of the island. The first 8 miles or so went by quickly as I listened to my breathing and gauged my pace while moderating my heartrate. As it turns out this (analog) attempt at pacing myself turned to failure later in the race.

Scenic spots along the next few miles included the Wright Brothers monument, the forest run & the Nags head golf course. I hit 13.1 miles in pretty good pace (just over my 3:10 goal) and struggled through to mile 20 not too far behind. As I turned onto 158 headed south towards the bridge, the rain and wind started in earnest. My shoes had long sense been soaked by running through puddles & as the wind blew my time got slower & slower!

By the time I hit the bridge I was reveling in the leg pain and fatigue that is the last 6 miles of every marathon (for me)! I slogged along over the bridge (which was nearly obscured by the fog & rain) and tried on a few occasions to pick up the pace. I watched my 3:10 fade and began to focus on 3:30, hoping that I could push hard enough to make the pace. As it turns out the only decent pace I ran I mustered as I saw Lynn, Ron, and Carolyn at mile 23. I was glad that shortly after that there was a turn and I could settle back into a shuffle for those last three miles!

Although I crossed the line in 3:33 I was amazed to see that I still placed 20th in my age group! It was great to have a cheering section as I came across the line and I enjoyed joining the group to watch the rest of our WakeOBX crowd come in. I was just glad that we all got done before the weather turned even more sour in the afternoon.

I was glad to hear Craig say he was up for a field trip after a few of us went out for lunch so Craig & I headed up to the Wright brothers monument for a quick tour. We hobbled around the park and up to the top of the monument where the wind proved to be a bit stronger than our legs! As we headed back to the car the wind whipped rain around us & I have to admit I was glad to head back to the hotel and to Owens for an excellent celebration dinner.

Thanks to Mary & Mark for providing SAG support & to everyone who joined up and trained for the event. We are already talking next events (Misletoe Half Marathon on Dec 3rd) so get ready . . ..


GOBX! .. . . .E

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home