Saturday, September 30, 2006

Susan's Women's Distance Festival 5K Race 9/30


I cancelled out of my triathlon this weekend, but remembered an earlier invitation from my daughter-in-law to run with her and my granddaughter in a 5K race in Cary today. Since my training schedule calls for either an 8-10 mile training run or a 5K race....

I signed up and joined them in the Women's Distance Festival, a women-only race that has been put on annually in various cities since 1979. So, for the first time, 3 generations of Smith women raced (Meredith slept through the entire event!).

I have to report I had a fabulous time and race. I had a 5K PR at 25:33. That's a per mile average of 8:14. I took third place in my age group (out of 23 I might add, and remember I'm on the long end of the 50-54 age group). I was 46th overall, out of over 300 ladies!

So, I think I have found my venue: women's races coupled with beginner races. It was totally heady to be at in the front quarter of a running event :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home