Thursday, November 16, 2006

OBX 26.2 Epilogue

The OBX Marathon was a great experience for me. I really enjoyed the group effort part of it and working through things together over the past 5-6 months. we should all be proud of our accomplishments individually, and as a group.

For me, this was the hardest thing I've ever done-plain and simple. This was the first time I've ever had my body tell me things mine was saying to me. It was tough.
The OBX townspeople were super positive and overall the race was well planned and executed. The only things I would change would be more bathrooms-and some food along the way. The route was beautiful and well marked-there were little tents every so often with cheering people inside! That guy with the coconut bra and grass skirt really got me laughing. I also missed Waits and Wanda! WakeOBX was a great group to be a part of.

As many others in our group, I too ran much farther than I ever have in my life. As I inched over 11, 12, 13+ miles this summer, I was amazed at what I was doing. Its changed my perspective on how much I can do. I also learned to eat and hydrate properly. This was something I never did before, making me feel awful after many of the 5K's I ran through the years...now I understand you have to eat and drink to make it through these physical events.

It was interesting to journey up the hill to the Wright Brothers Memorial with Erik. Up the hill with a cold wind and rain which made already aching legs hurt
even more we went to see the moument to flight which closed in 10 minutes. The Bodie Island Lighhouse and Cape Hatteras Lighthouse were inspiring on Saturday night. Thanks to Mary Horton for driving us down to see it and getting us to the Black Pelican for dinner. I had the best burger and fries ever at 5 Guys after the race-thanks to Karen for that suggestion. All around a really good experience-all should be proud of their efforts!

Craig

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home