Thursday, November 16, 2006

All the Blog Lynn Can Muster

For me, the OBX Marathon was all about the camaraderie with fellow wakeobxers. My big physical challenge had come the week before, when I participated in the Breast Cancer 3-Day walk in Phoenix, AZ. I had been training since February to walk 60 miles in 3 days, so when the wakeobx group decided to do the marathon the week after the 3 Day, I thought, why not? What's another 13 miles? Besides, it would give me the chance to actually participate in a race with my spouse. Previously, I had been Bill's race support, which consists mostly of keeping him supplied in dry shirts about every 8 miles! Despite my native INTJ loner/loser persona, I very much enjoyed walking and chatting with Ron and Carolyn, trying to outguess the rain. I think we actually managed to pull off a negative split, as Carolyn was really booking there at the end and Ron and I had all we could do to keep up with her!

The Expo was an unexpected treat on Saturday. It was great fun to see people do a double take when they saw the Wake Forest sign and then delight in scarfing up our freebies. Thanks to everyone who dug through Wake Forest closets to come up with the schwag.

Mary gets my vote as the wakeobx MVP, ably assisted by Mark. Mary hauled the supplies for the Expo in her car on Friday and set up the booth all by herself. Then she hauled our behinds all over the Outer Banks, getting up at ungodly hours of the morning to do so. And finally, she took race photos every bit as good or better than the official photographers and at a much better price! Go Mary!

One last thing: this morning I delivered my "Finisher" medal to Wanda in the hospital and told her that was only until next year when she could earn one herself. It's all for you, Wanda.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home